COVID-19 update

Our office is currently not open to visitors. We are responding to emails and are operating a limited telephone service for complaints related enquiries. Our Scottish Welfare Fund review service is available by telephone as normal. Please read our information for customers and organisations.

What do you need to know about my complaint?

It's really helpful if you send us your complaint on our complaints form.  You can complete it online or download a copy to fill in (PDF). You can also ask us to send you a paper copy by calling our Freephone number (0800 377 7330).  We need to see :

  • your name, address and telephone number, and email address if you have one
  • whether you are complaining on behalf of someone else (if so, we usually need them to say in writing that they want you to act for them - they can do that on the form)
  • the organisation you are complaining about
  • a short explanation of what led to the problem, saying who was involved, what happened and when, and why you think the situation is unfair or wrong
  • what you've done to try to sort out the complaint and the result of that (including a copy of the letter from the organisation giving their final decision about your complaint)
  • copies of other paper work that we need to see to understand the complaint (please only send the most relevant information, if we need more we'll ask for it)
  • why you're unhappy with the response you have received and what you would like to happen as a result of your complaint to us.

You may find our leaflet How to complain to the SPSO helpful - it gives some advice about complaining to us.

Updated: January 21, 2020