The Independent National Whistleblowing Officer (INWO) now has a website. You can access this here.
The INWO service for the NHS in Scotland will start in full on 1 April 2021. The role and functions of the INWO will be undertaken by the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.
The INWO will have powers to make recommendations for action to be taken, and have a national leadership role providing support and guidance to relevant bodies with a focus on early resolution where possible, recording, reporting, learning and improvement. The ultimate aim is to ensure the NHS in Scotland is as well run as possible.
The INWO will be the final stage of the process for those raising concerns.
The INWO has developed a set of National Whistleblowing Standards that set out the high level principles and a detailed procedure for investigating concerns. These Standards are now being shared for information and to help prepare NHS organisations for implementation in 2021.
For further information, please visit the new INWO website at www.inwo.org.uk. You can also contact the INWO team directly:
- Freephone: 0800 008 6112
- Email: INWO@spso.gov.scot
The team are available by Freephone during the following hours:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9am-1pm
- Tuesday and Thursday 12noon-4pm
This service is open to all NHS providers, staff and members of the public.
The INWO team will be available to offer the following advice:
- Information on transitional arrangements, including signposting whistleblowers who need to raise concerns before 1 April 2021
- Support and advice on implementation of the National Whistleblowing Standards
- General enquiries from members of the public.
Information and updates on the development of the INWO can be found below.