In 2019-20 we received:
- 4,332 complaints - a 3% increase on the 4,188 received in the previous year.
- 1,569 enquiries - an 8% decrease on the 1,707 received in the previous year.
- 5,668 complaints and enquiries – a very similar number to the 5,662 determined in the previous year.
Other key figures
- 1,569 - the number of enquiries on which we gave advice, support and signposting information.
- 4,099 – the total number of complaints determined. An increase of 4% on 3,955 in the previous year.
- 3,511 complaints were decided following detailed consideration pre-investigation. These were not investigated for a number of reasons, such as out of jurisdiction, out of time or we could not achieve more for the complainant by investigating.
- 588 - the number of complaints we investigated. 66% of which were about the health sector.
- 58% - the overall rate of upheld complaints. This remains the same as the previous year.
- 1,038 recommendations made for redress and improvement to public service:
- 38% for personal redress - up from 33% in the previous year
- 49% for learning and improvement - down from 56% in the previous year
- 13% about complaint handling - up from 11% in the previous year.
- 415 pieces of feedback given to authorities on how a complaint was handled or where we identify an issue not complained about.
- 19% - the proportion of complaints that reached us before completing the organisation's complaints procedure. Down from 20% the previous year.
For further information about the descriptions we use in our statistics, please see our explanation of terms.
2019-20 statistical tables
- Enquiries and complaints received by subject (PDF, 359KB)
- Enquiries and complaints received by subject (Excel, 53KB)
- Complaints received by subject and authority (PDF, 739KB)
- Complaints received by subject and authority (Excel, 71KB)
- Enquiries and complaints determined by sector and outcome (PDF, 230KB)
- Enquiries and complaints determined by sector and outcome (Excel, 18KB)
- Enquiries and complaints determined by subject and outcome (PDF, 691KB)
- Enquiries and complaints determined by subject and outcome (Excel, 70KB)
- Complaints determined by authority and outcome (PDF, 919KB)
- Complaints determined by authority and outcome (Excel, 71KB)
Further information will be available in our annual report.
2019-20 public bodies statistics
Annually, we share complaints statistics with public bodies to highlight service issues that people have complained about; this is aimed at understanding better what drives dissatisfaction with public services and whether there are systemic changes that can be made.
- Ayrshire and Arran NHS Board
- Borders NHS Board
- Dumfries and Galloway NHS Board
- Fife NHS Board
- Aberdeen City Council
- Aberdeenshire Council
- Angus Council
- Argyll and Bute Council
- City of Edinburgh Council
- Clackmannanshire Council
- Comhairle nan Eilean Siar
- Dumfries and Galloway Council
- Dundee City Council
- East Ayrshire Council
- East Dunbartonshire Council
- East Lothian Council
- East Renfrewshire Council
- Falkirk Council
- Fife Council
- Glasgow City Council
- Highland Council
- Inverclyde Council
- Midlothian Council
- Moray Council
- North Ayrshire Council
- North Lanarkshire Council
- Orkney Council
- Perth and Kinross Council
- Renfrewshire Council
- Scottish Borders Council
- Shetland Council
- South Ayrshire Council
- South Lanarkshire Council
- Stirling Council
- West Dunbartonshire Council
- West Lothian Council